PUCHONG – Police have confirmed that excavation work took place near the site of the massive gas pipeline explosion in Putra Heights which rocked the area last Tuesday.
Selangor Police Chief Datuk Hussein Omar Khan revealed that the digging activities were part of a sewer pipe replacement project and had been halted two days prior to the incident.
Two heavy machines, a backhoe and an excavator were involved, with one reportedly swallowed by the enormous crater formed after the explosion.
“We can confirm that excavation work was carried out in the area. But whether it directly caused the explosion is still under investigation.
“We need to determine how deep and how close the digging was to the gas pipeline,” he said during a special press conference.
“The powerful blast left behind a deep crater, approximately eight metres deep and 70 metres wide, severely altering the terrain and destabilising the area.
“Authorities are currently focused on stabilising the ground before any detailed investigations can safely proceed,” he said.
The investigation is being conducted under two main components: technical and criminal. The technical inquiry is led by the Public Works Department (JKR) and the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH), while police are probing the possibility of criminal elements, including sabotage or negligence.
So far, 56 witnesses have been interviewed, including victims, workers, contractors, and independent eyewitnesses. The police have also received over 20 dashcam and social media video submissions, which are being reviewed to identify further leads.
On the question of a possible gas leak, Hussein said Petronas has yet to detect any pressure drop in the pipeline through its monitoring systems. “Their system is designed to pick up even minor leaks, but nothing has been confirmed so far. That aspect is still under investigation,” he explained.
Fire and Rescue officials have also clarified that a gas explosion requires three key elements: gas, oxygen, and an ignition source. The presence of gas alone, without ignition, is not enough to cause a blast.
Addressing concerns about transparency, Hussein assured the public that the investigation is being conducted professionally and openly, with multiple agencies involved, including Petronas, JKR, DOSH, TNB, and the Department of Minerals and Geoscience.
An initial report is expected to be released two weeks after site stabilisation begins in mid-April, followed by a full report shortly after.
However, he cautioned that heavy rain and water buildup in the crater could delay progress. Efforts are underway to drain the water and secure the site before technical teams can enter.
“We are committed to uncovering the truth. This investigation involves multiple experts and agencies. The findings will be made public once finalised by the state government,” Hussein added.
The police are continuing to gather evidence and are urging anyone with additional information, photos, or videos related to the incident to come forward. -MalayaDailyToday